perjantai 6. syyskuuta 2019

Ninh Binh and Mr. Crappy

This post will be about my weekend in Ninh Binh, a city 90 km outside of Hahoi and Mr. Crappy, my scooter.

My last weekend before the serious business would start I wanted to see some of the beautiful nature in Vietnam that I've heard so much about but not really seen. I was told that a city called Ninh Binh was the perfect weekend getaway from the bustling big city life.

Ninh Binh really had it all! Rice paddies, goats, rivers and limestone mountains. What more could you ask for? Oh, and did I mention, no traffic. Not compared to Hanoi at least. 

On Firday I took public transportation (the bus!) to Ninh Binh. The bus trip itself was an adventure. Busses in Vietnam apparently also operate as a mail delivery service. When I got to Ninh Binh after a surpringsingly comfortable ride I realized I wasn't in Hanoi anymore. There were no "Grabs" or taxis anywhere. No-one stopped and asked if I needed a ride. My hotel just a few km away so I was fine, just sweaty! I was thinking that getting around Ninh Binh would be difficult, without transportation... Maybe I should rent a motorbike? The traffic was nothing compared to Hanoi after all.

The hotel (Thành Đạt Hotel) was lovely and felt more like a home than a hotel. Well, it was a home since the family running it also lived there. My window faced a big rice paddy and the owners were very helpful and gave lots of advice on how to get around and what to see.

I ended up renting a motorbike from the hotel! I would later name the motorbike Mr. Crappy.

On my first afternoon Mr. Crappy and I drove to see Hoa Lư, the ancient capital of Vietnam during the 10th and 11th century. I strolled around the temple grounds after a friendly guard let me in for free (the ticket office was hard to find!).

When Hoa Lư closed its gates for the day, I continued to the Am Tien cave and temple. Am Tien cave was a short walk from Hoa Lư and had a peacful walking route around a hidden lake. On one of the mountain sides there were stairs leading up to a temple inside a cave.

When the sun set, Mr. Crappy and I headed home.

The ancient capital of Hoa Lu

Am Tiên

Am Tiên

Chùa Am Tiên - cave temple

1 kommentti: