tiistai 3. syyskuuta 2019

What am I doing here

What am I doing here?

Working!

Today is a good day to explain why I moved to Hanoi and why I will stay here until the end of December. I met my colleagues-to-be for the first time today. They were a lovely bunch of friendly, humoristic people who welcomed me to their small team. We all had lunch together at a nearby restaurant and I feel super motivated to start my new job on Monday next week.

I was given the absolutely amazing opportunity to accept a job offer at the United Nations Food and Agricultural Organization (FAO) in Ha Noi. I'm going to work at the department called Emergency Center for Trans-boundary Animal Disease (ECTAD) which is a very small team in FAO. My official job titel is (here it goes): antimicrobial resistance project documentation consultant. Even though the titel includes the word "consultant", I think I will be the one asking most of the questions.

The rest of my team consists of locals from Vietnam and two team members from Thailand and Japan. During our first lunch together I entertained my colleagues with my chopstick talents...

I guess antibiotic resistance is not an unfamiliar term to most. The way antibiotics are used here in Vietnam is much less regulated than in western countries. If I would like to, I could get over-the-counter antibiotics from a pharmacy here in Ha Noi without a prescription from a doctor. The same goes for a farmer with animals.

So I will be a part of a team of mostly veterinarians working on (among other things) reports on antibiotic resistance in Vietnamese production animals and raising awareness of good practices when it comes to antibiotic use on farms.


Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti